Monday, August 16, 2010

Last week you heard from a few of my summer interns about why they chose to be part of my grassroots campaign and some of their experience. I have a few more stories to share.

Cara P.: After learning more about the economic and political state of Illinois, I became extremely disheartened. Being so young in a state facing such strife is incredibly disappointing and casts darkness over the possibility of a bright future. However, I firmly believe In Jeff’s mission to bring change to Illinois. This campaign gives me faith that I may someday be able to raise a family here. Jeff’s passion for his work and his interest in truly changing Illinois politics inspires me to start holding our state to a new standard and to expect that our government may one day return to policy over politics. Hearing from enthused and like-minded voters is encouraging and makes me excited for a future in which Jeff and others like him are elected into office.

Crystal R.: I decided be one of Jeff's interns this summer for many reasons. Not only was it a great learning experience, but I also felt like I was doing something beneficial for the state of Illinois. At my first fundraiser for Jeff, I sat down next to a woman who was unhappy with the responsiveness of her current 37th district representative. She said she had made several attempts to contact his office, but was never responded to. That same cold week in winter, Jeff knocked on her door to introduce himself. Although she normally voted Democratic she decided she definitely wanted to support Jeff and help him get elected. It reassured me that Jeff was a great candidate for the job. Since then, I have called voters and went door-to-door and received many similar responses. It is a great feeling. We have all worked hard this summer, but Jeff has definitely worked that hardest and I feel that he will continue working hard for the state of Illinois.

Jessica L.: It has been a privilege to intern for Jeff Junkas this summer. Given the critical condition our state is in, I felt it was imperative to get involved in order to make a change in Illinois. Being able to reach voters and document their opinions on a daily basis was challenging, and provided me a very humbling lesson in cold calling. Through voter outreach and my work with Junkas, I learned the importance of a two party system and believing in policy before politics. My experience campaigning with Jeff has been very rewarding; although a career in politics is not for me, I have gained an immense amount of respect and appreciation for those who dedicate their time to improve our communities.

No comments:

Post a Comment